I have just upgraded my PC to Windows 7 and after moving all my .NET projects over was in the process of trying to debug a Web Service I had written to run locally on my PC that was returning an error.
I went to my command prompt and typed in a Telnet command to test my service only to be met with a response that no such program existed.
I am guessing this is for security reasons but to enable Telnet on Windows 7 you need to do the following:
- Go to Start.
- Choose the Control Panel option.
- Choose Programs and Features.
- Choose the "Turn Windows features on or off" option by clicking the link on the left side menu.
- A little pop-up window will appear and load in a number of features and programs.
- Check Telnet Client (and / or ) Telnet Server if you require it.
- Press the OK button.
- If you are using a Anti Virus program like Kaspersky then you might have to allow it to update the Registry.
After a few seconds of loading Telnet will be loaded and you can then use it from your command prompt in the normal way.