Sunday 12 June 2011

New version of Strictly Software Wordpress Plugins Released

Updates to Strictly Tweetbot and Strictly AutoTags

Last night I released new versions for two of my Wordpress plugins. You can get the most up to date versions from the Wordpress plugin site.

Strictly Tweetbot 1.0.5 released

The latest version of my Tweetbot which handles the posting of multiple tweets to multiple accounts whenever a new post is added has two new features.

They both offer the user the ability to shorten a tweet message so that it fits within the 140 character limit. One option is to use the Tweet Shrink API, the same API used by popular Twitter Apps such as Tweetdeck and the other is to use my own custom Strictly Text Shrink function which replaces common shrinkable words with text speak equivalents.

I have added a test function into my plugin that allows you to compare both methods with the last posted tweet so that the right method is used. There is of course nothing stopping you from using both together or neither at all.

The latest version of my auto tagging plugin offers the ability to add phrases to the noise word list as well as the option of splitting noise words up into two groups, case sensitive and case insensitive.

I have found that sometimes it is preferable to only tag words of a certain case such as the commonly used tag IT or WHO (information technology and World Health Organisation).

Whereas the capitalised versions are acronyms the lower case versions are noise words. Therefore to prevent lots of instances of the lower case version being tagged and bolded (when using the SEO option) it is advisable to put these words into the case sensitive noise word list.


Brian Brown, Ph.D. said...

Thanks for your hard work! The WP plugins repository says that TweetBot is ver 1.0.2 but you say new version is 1.05.
Also, it might be a good idea to change your Oauth naming convenstion to avoid conflicts with other plugins.

Brian Brown, Ph.D. said...

Thanks for all of your hard work!
The version of TweetBot in the WP repository says its 1.0.2 but you say the new version is 1.0.5.
Also, it might be a good idea to rename your OAuth class to avoid conflicts with other plugins.
Brian Brown, Ph.D.